I finally got to the theater to see the new Wonder Woman film. It was everything I imagined and more. I have been a fan of Wonder Woman since I was a little girl and I was thrilled to finally have a big screen movie to see her in….but I have a confession…I kinda forgot about her when I became an adult. My life got busy. There was school, then work, then marriage, then triplets. I let my comic book fandom and, by extension, my love for Wonder Woman, fall to the wayside.
This movie renewed my love for her and I am reminded of my reasons:
- Wonder Woman is powerful. Even “back then” when the world was more male-centric, she was a powerful force to be reckoned with and she always put the bad guys away (and most of them were guys).
- Diana Prince held her own in a “civilian” job that was usually staffed by men. She is also the only female founding member of the JLA.
- Wonder Woman has an abundance of Confidence.
- Diana Prince has great negotiating skills and shows great emotional intelligence.
- Wonder Woman is physically strong. Not just strong, but as strong as, if not stronger than, Superman.
- Diana Prince is independent. This wasn’t really on my radar as a child, but now, as a single woman, I appreciate the fact that she is not just there to be someone’s wife or girlfriend…she is independent and does not need a man to define or inform her life.
So I apologize to Wonder Woman for my lackluster fandom and hope from this point forward I can shout my appreciation of her from the rooftops (or at the very least from this blog and podcast) more often. My 6 year old self is squealing with glee at the fact that she is back and fiercer than ever. I will ever strive to have:
POWER * GRACE * WISDOM * WONDER
Would you like to create your own “Hero’s Journey”? CLICK HERE to download the road map to designing your life on your terms.